RansuRansu Logo

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

More thoughts on Google's AutoLink

More thoughts on Google's AutoLink - The Unofficial Microsoft Weblog - microsoft.weblogsinc.com _:

I commented on this post and on one of the comments posted there -


"James" had this to say -
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=tr...

I presume you uninstalled any pop up blockers you have? After all, it doesn't allow you to configure which pop ups are let in and which ones are blocked. You also don't skip commercials on any PVR or VCR, do you? That's ptting all the control in the hands of the hardware vendor, who gets to decide what an ad is.


I said this ---
For whatever it's worth, I tend to agree with Scott, but just from a usability and tweakability perspetive. If Autolink came preconfigured with a set of links but allowed me to change them (customize), I could handle that. That would give the creator (in this case Google) control over the majority of the users but give others the ability to change their preferences.

I also agree with James in that one is not forced to download and use the tool. I just think that it would be enhanced by some additional functions. I'm not sure I understand the point about skipping commercials on a pvr. Maybe that's because I'm used to Tivo vs another brand. Skipping commercials (if that means fast fowarding) avoids advertising at the individual user level within the users control whereas Google is inserting advertising at the user level outside the user's control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home