RansuRansu Logo

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Creative Zen Micro

Purchased new unit on 2/11/2004 after much research as to what may be the best player with a relatively small form factor. I wanted something portable but something that had a good amount of space.
Bought at CompUSA. They had a sale through the 12th that allowed for 20% off mp3 players. So, their price of 249.99 went down to 199.99.

The compUSA near me isn't kept up so well and though I like going in to look at the gadgets and technology, it just always seems unkempt. This definitely detracts from the shopping experience for me. I really was torn on whether to buy the Creative Zen Touch 20 GB unit or the Creative Zen Micro. The Micro had great reviews but I wanted more space for music. I like to "DJ" for friends so having the larger drive made sense for me.
The issue was resolved when I went to compUSA because the store did not actually have the Zen Touch and they seemed either clueless or annoyed when I asked about the possibility of ordering one. The person working (a young man), seemed a little lazy or unused to people doing anything more than buying a gadget when they come in. Maybe he was a little jaded. However when I walk in to a store to drop 200 bones on something, I want to have thought about it and I expect good help if I have questions.

I then made up my mind to buy the Creative Zen xtra 40 GB thing but they ended up being out. So, I ran off to BestBuy to see if they had one there but they did not. I thought price matching would have served me well there but since they didn't carry what I wanted it sorta killed my idea.
I drove all the way back to CompUSA and got the Zen Micro. I was a little nervous about the small HD size but all the reviews I read indicated that the sound was really good and the unit was a good buy overall.

When I got it home I unwrapped all the packaging and was a little surprised with the lack of documentation. I don't know what I was expecting other than MORE. Anyway, not a priority, so I moved on.

I plugged in the unit and read in the manual (the small one) that I had to charge the equip for 3 hours before use.
I popped in the install CD and ran the install.
I'm running (don't laugh) Windows ME. My justification for this is not part of this post!. Anyway the install ran and I selected to install 2 of the 3 primary components (all but the adobe one).
I received a number of errors while the install ran:
something like
"Failed to register CTConfig.dll"
and then
"RegSvr32 fails to register CTJBNS2.DLL"
So, not knowing the impact of that, I ran the install again after a reboot.
Got the same errors.
So, I figured I would give it a try and see what happened next but I had to wait for 2.5 more hours because the battery was still charging.
After waiting for the charge to complete, I plugged in the USB (not 2.0) cable and started up the software. The device was detected ok and the registration process ran fine too. So, I guess I"ll have to wait and be surprised as to whatever is the impact of the dll failures.
I picked out some music and created a basic playlist and transferred to the device.
I plugged in the head phones and was off to the races.
The unit sounded good.
It's now the 13th and I've been using it for about a day and a half. It really is not too bad.
The included head phones are "OK" but since I'm not the total audiophile it's really hard to say much more than that. They sound OK and I'm considering picking up a different type.

The one complaint that I red about was the user interface on the unit itself. I tried it out and found that it was/is a little difficult to use. This is one area where a manual would have been good. I adjusted the sensitivity and set it to LOW and have been using it that way. I'm pretty satisfied with it at this point.

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Head Knit said...

Just bought a ZEN and got same message. Glad to know what caused it !!!!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger lance said...

After having upgraded to XP Media center edition, my guess (yes this is a guess) is that the dll failures had to do with disk access of some sort. The zen worked fine on ME except for direct access to the unit as a disk. On XP, it works great - NO DLL failures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home